850 Congress Avenue. Pacific Grove, CA 93950
Providing Adults with Developmental Disabilities the Best Environment to Live and Work.
At Gateway Center of Monterey County, we serve adults with Developmental Disabilities. We fully support their individual rights and choices, and empower them to live full and productive lives with dignity and independence within the community.
Gateway Center’s core values are guided by the following principles that dictate everything we do: Rights, Choices and Opportunities for Growth for everyone we serve
WHO WE SERVE
We serve adults with Developmental Disabilities.
WHAT WE STRIVE TO ACHIEVE
We are successful when our participants are able to achieve meaningful, joyful, and productive lives within their communities. We strive to support each person to enable them to achieve their goals, attain independence and empowerment, with dignity.
HOW WE WORK WITH OUR PARTICPANTS
Our services and programs are individualized and client driven to ensure a safe, stable, and nurturing environment. We consistently deliver a broad spectrum of Person Centered Services at the highest standards of care.
THE ROLE OF THE FAMILY AND SUPPORT CIRCLE
We maintain collaborative relationships and communication with family, friends and others in our participant’s support network.
THE ROLE OF GATEWAY CENTER IN THE COMMUNITY
Individuals with Developmental Disabilities are equal members of the greater community. In order to expand and enrich the lives of our participants, Gateway Center provides as many opportunities as possible to promote inclusion, education, and awareness to the community at large.
A Brief History of Gateway Center of Monterey County:
Gateway Center began in 1954 with a determined group of concerned parents who wanted to offer their special needs infants and children a place to grow and thrive. Their intent was to enhance the quality of their kid’s lives while ensuring safety and promoting learning and independence. The result was a small day school in Monterey. At the time, it was the only educational option for developmentally disabled children in the area.
As those kids grew up, it became apparent that new services were urgently needed for the county’s growing number of developmentally disabled adults. The Board and management of Gateway Center recognized this need and changed its mission. In 1975, they purchased the current building on Congress Avenue in Pacific Grove and established an innovative, new program which provided day and residential services to 46 developmentally disabled adults.
Gateway Center’s Historic Milestones:
· 1954 – Opened a school for developmentally disabled children who were barred from other schools. A few years later, the Monterey County Office of Education took this program over and continues to operate it to this day
· 1963 – Developed one of the county’s first, Adult Day Activity Programs
· 1963 – Developed and operated an infant stimulation program, now run by MCOE
· 1975 – Acquired the 850 Congress site and started Day and Residential Programs there
· 1975 – Developed a Residential Respite Program
· 1983 – Opened a workshop and supported employment center in Seaside. This was sold to Hope Services in 2001
· 1985 – Developed an Adult Developmental Activities Program for severely disabled individuals
· 1998 – Expanded into Supported and Independent living services in satellite homes
· 2001 – Developed our first Senior Day Activities Program
· 2003 – Opened a satellite, Senior Day Activities Program in Salinas
· 2009 – Obtained funding to downsize and rebuild our Congress Avenue site. Developed new program options for the community
· 2011 – Opened Monterey County’s first, 15 bed, Intermediate Care Facility for Developmentally Disabled-Habilitative (ICFDDH)
· 2017 – Opened our second, 15 bed, Intermediate Care Facility for Developmentally Disabled-Habilitative (ICFDDH)
· 2018 – Opened the “Without Walls Program” at Pacific Grove Adult School, in partnership with the Pacific Grove School District
The staff work well together in providing a caring, supportive family atmosphere and I believe this is what really makes the Gateway community
"How reassuring it is to know that my Granddaughter is living happily under the secure roof of Gateway Center. I am grateful that
I believe that the programs Gateway Center provides are excellent because they allow individuals to truly engage in the community and learn new